May 17-22 was national Volunteers Week. NINA chose to celebrate with a beautiful celebration for our community volunteers through a lunch at the lovely St George Motorboat Club.
Nina has a group of 40 volunteers from Helensburgh to Thirroul (and a few that live outside those areas as well. We service over 300 clients in the Northern Illawarra with various support needs. Volunteers graciously drive hundreds of kms ensuring that the elderly , disabled and those who are considered transport challenged are able to make important medical appointments, can independently do their own weekly shopping or just spend time with family or friends .
We have volunteers that happily go into the homes of isolated people and give them the comfort and companionship for a couple of hours each week. Many older people who live alone and aren’t …
Volunteers are a vital part of Northern Illawarra Neighbour Aid. If you have been thinking about volunteering here is a list of ways in which you can get involved:
- Volunteer Driver- assisting clients get to a variety of appointments, they may be medical, social or for other reasons. NINA will reimburse volunteers based on the km’s driven in their own vehicle.
- Volunteer escort. Helping our clients on any of our bus trips.
- Delivering meals on wheels to clients who need it.
- Social support- providing a friendly chat to people in their own home or at one of our group activities.
- Management Committee members. NINA is managed by a volunteer committee.